Monday, April 13, 2009

Grace is Doing Well Now

I think she's out of the woods, at least for now. We have found a solution that works. A year ago when Grace had her physical, they found that she had a thyroid condition. They gave us a prescription of pills and as you know, it is no picnic giving a cat a pill. I tried putting it in cheese balls etc., but it was always iffy. In fact, she would take in the pill, then spit it out later. So smart!

Then, she started vomiting all the time. Several times a day she would vomit. Not good when she was already underweight. I called the vet and they said to stop the pills. Trusting the doctors, I figured that she didn't really need the pills, but they had just given it a try. You know, they do the same with people. It's like they really don't know the answer - so they say, "well, let's try this."

A year goes by and Grace is getting thinner and thinner. She's 13 years old so I just figured this was a normal part of aging. Then a couple of months ago, things shifted. She got really fussy with food (more than usual) and she seemed to lose her sense of smell (which can be a sign of kidney failure). I really started watching her closely. She stopped grooming, her breath got foul and I was really nervous. I have been through the kidney failure thing with other cats and it is really hard.

Also, my finances are strained and I was avoiding the vet (just as I have stopped going to the doctor myself). I also feared what the vet would say. I know, this is terrible to admit, but it's like - if you don't go to the vet, you don't know the truth - that your baby girl, your precious kitty, is dying and there's nothing you can do. So I avoided the vet.

Finally, one day, she was really in distress. Breathing heavily - her whole body heaving because her heart was beating so hard. I called the vet and a friend to go with me - to drive and for moral support.

The doctor did not seem very concerned and said she was having a 'thyroid storm'. Again the prescription of meds. I said last time all she did was vomit, so they lowered the dosage. I asked if there was another way to deliver the medication and she said she could put it into a beef-flavored syrup which also contained vitamins. Grace would also need baby aspirin twice a week, which they also made into a liquid.

In 24 hours, there was already a change. Now, a month later, my beautiful, happy, and active cat is back! She loves the meds and licks it off her paws if any spills. Her heart is calm, her breathing normal and she is putting weight on. She grooms. She eats normally, including dry food. She sleeps normally rather than being hyper-vigilant.

It's like Grace has gotten years younger. She looks good and she is so happy. She does need meds twice a day every day for the rest of her life.

How is it that our pets have taken on the illnesses of humans? Or is it that they always had them, but just went off to die without human 'parent's watching their every move and rushing them off to the doctor?

I think the animals are being affected by the processed foods too. When Grace was really sick, the only thing she would eat was raw chicken liver. The doctor said it was good for her because it was all meat, not filled up with grains like cat food. Cats are meat-eaters by nature, not vegetarians. We have forced that on them.

Next time you get a prescription of pills for your cat, ask the vet if they will liquify them. It really helps. If they won't you can do it yourself. Grind in a mortar, add broth or water. Keep in the refrigerator.

1 comment:

The Misadventures Of Me said...

Grace we is happy yoo feels better! Being sick is no fun and its hard sumtimes to tell the beans how we feel or what is wrong. Yer mommy is da best fer takin yoo to see dat dreaded v-e-t.

Molly
Shadow
Troo